July 7, 2008

Maddur Vada


I have for you today, a very popular snack from karnataka, Maddur Vada.
Maddur Vada derives its name from the city of Maddur which lies between Bangalore & Mysore.
If you happen to travel by bus or train to Mysore via Bangalore, then you just cannot ignore Maddur Vada. It is a perfect tea-time snack, goes really well with a hot cup of filter coffee. In Bangalore, MTR serves the best Maddur vadas ever.
Its really easy to make it at home too.
Here's the authentic Maddur Vada Recipe
Preparation Time: 25 - 30 mins
Ingredients:
  1. Rice flour - 1 cup
  2. Very fine Semolina - 1/4 cup
  3. All purpose flour - 1/4 cup
  4. 2 onions - very finely chopped
  5. A handful of peanuts - unsalted & unroasted & broken coarsely in a mixer
  6. Curry leaves
  7. White seasame - 2 tbsp
  8. Green Chillies - 5-6 finely chopped
  9. Salt as per taste
  10. Oil for frying
  11. A pinch of soda Bi-Carb
  12. Cilantro - finely chopped

Method:

  • Mix all the above ingredients in a large bowl
  • Add 2 tbsp of cooking oil to the bowl
  • Mix all the ingredients well.
  • DO NOT add water as water released by onions is sufficient
  • Make a pliable dough
  • Meanwhile, heat oil in a deep frying pan
  • Make medium sized balls of the dough
  • Flatten them into discs of 3 - 4 mm thickness with your hand
  • Fry on medium flame. Fry 4 -5 discs together at a time
  • Turn the vada from time to time so that it does not become brown too soon
  • When it turns brownish, spread them on tissue paper so that it absorbs excess oil

Serve HOT with chutney & steaming HOT Filter Coffee .. Enjoi !!!!

Rushina from A Perfect Bite is hosting the Pakora Contest

Off goes my Maddur Vada to Rushina's place.

Thanks Rushina for hosting :)



26 comments:

Asha said...

Slurp! I have Maddur vade too at Aroma, every time I see I drool. They sell then at bus station too, I have eaten at railway station!:)
Have you seen my RCI-Karnataka cuisine round up? It has a few Maddur vadas too. Your's look delicious, you are tempting me make them again!:D

Suma Rajesh said...

wooo....always u prepare new recipe that i have never known....good to have at tea snack time rt?..looks tempting

Madhavi said...

Vada looks great, very nice recipe too!!!

Priti said...

Vada looks so nice...gud recipe...

Eco_smith said...

Yummy..i luv Maddur Vada! My parents are currently living in Maddur..so planning to hog on Maddur vada the next time i go there!!!

rekhas kitchen said...

mmmm maddur vada I can eat any time looks mouth watering

Ramya Bala said...

Very nice recipe..Method is clean n clear..will try it definitely

Sireesha said...

Vada looks great and inviting......

Sia said...

oh!!! those lovely memories of muncging on maddur vada on b'lore-mysore highways...
drool, drool and drool....

Illatharasi said...

wow, vada looks great... hearing about maddur vada for the first time :)

Just wanted to let you know that I have added your blog to my blogroll:)

Sunshinemom said...

This used to be my favourite when my Mom made them. I haven't attempted them yet, and right now I am regretting! Must get down to do it after drooling over these:)

Laavanya said...

I haven't had maddur vadas but seen in several blogs.. Have to give it a try.

Nice to read your meme too :)

Archy said...

Wow, used to eat it in Bangalore !! Ur's looks so tempting.. shall surely try this vada :) !!

Andhra Flavors said...

lovely recipe. this vada should be madhuram like name itself.

LG said...

I agree with Ashakka, neevu maddur vade torisi aase huttisthaidira.. :P drooling here over them and imagining the good taste of it over hot filter coffeee..ahaaa..swalpa male bandre innu maja..ehehehee...

Vani said...

There are many maddur vada recipes, all yum but I must say, yours looks exactly like the ones you get in Maddur! Much as I love it, I've never tried to make at home. Will bookmark yours to try sometime for sure! :)

Uma said...

mmm. yummy vadas.

Medhaa said...

Oh Lovely, everytime we would pass Madhur we used to stop for a tea break or Madhur Vada break. I am so glad to get the recipe. Will try them soon. Thanks for sharing..:)

Srinath said...

I was looking for a original recipe as prepared in Maddur. I feel i got it. I live outside India and rear to get such one's at restaurants. Now I can prepare it myself. Thanks

Srinath

vidhas said...

madhur vada sounds yummy. surely i will try. you have a suprise in my blog, kindly check it out

Anonymous said...

The vadas came out a bit soft. Why? The taste was delicious. Should the Maddur Vada be soft or crunchy? Easy recipe.

Thank you

DEESHA said...

The maddur vadas are crisp on the outside & it is soft on the inside. That is how it should be. because it is made a little thicker than nippattu. If this was how your vadas came out then, its perfect.

Anonymous said...

Easily I assent to but I dream the collection should acquire more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

Arpitha said...

thanks for ur recipie...i tried it..its too gud..

Umesh Chandra said...

Nice Post. One of the best place for authentic Andhra food.. They serve what they promise that s pure Andhra style food.. Lot of options as they do serve good Chinese, Mughalai food...With recent renovation the ambience is awesome and pleasing... Highly recommended.
Restaurants in Bangalore