August 13, 2008

Instant Puliyogare/Instant Tamarind Rice


Puliyogare is one dish which no South Indian can every say No to .. Also, known as Puliyodharai in Tamil & Pulihora in Telugu .. In Kannada, Puliyogare is also known as Huli Anna in some regions of karnataka. Traditionally, Puliyogare is prepared by mixing steamed rice with Puliyogare Gojju & tempering with groundnuts, curry leaves & red chillies. Recipe for the authentic puliyogare gojju will follow later.
I always swear by my mother's & Grandmom's Puliyogare Gojju .. The gojju needs to have the right consistency & takes quite a long time to prepare. It requires standing for long hours in the kitchen & stirring the gojju constantly until the desired consistency is obtained.
These days we are so hard pressed for time, No one ever has the patience to spend such long hours in the kitchen anymore, we all have grown so fond of the "INSTANT" fad.
Whenever, my mom ran out puliyogare gojju, I have seen her make this instant version of puliyogare, which tastes as good as the authentic one. Thats one reason why I still havent learnt to make authentic puliyogare gojju .. I always make the instant version and pass it off :P
Here's the recipe
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Ingredients:
  1. Rice - 1 cup
  2. 3 tsp - Rasam Powder/Saarina Pudi
  3. 3 tsp - Dry Tamarind Powder/Aamchur Powder
  4. A meduim sized lump of jaggery
  5. 2 tsp Black Sesame seeds - roasted & ground
  6. 1 tsp - cumin & Blackpepper powder - roasted & ground
  7. A handful of groundnuts
  8. Curry Leaves
  9. 2 - 3 Red chillies
  10. Mustard Seeds/
  11. 2 tbsp oil - preferably groundnut oil ( as it enhances the taste)
  12. Salt as per taste

Method:

  1. Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan, add rasam powder & tamarind.aamchur powder & saute till the raw smell disappears
  2. Add jaggery & black sesame powder & saute for one minute
  3. Add 3 cups of water & bring it to boil
  4. Add 1 cup rice, close the lid & let it pressure cook
  5. Take out the cooked rice & spread it on a plate & let it cool completely
  6. Once it is completely cooled, add cumin & black pepper powder
  7. Add salt as per taste
  8. Add 1 tbsp oil & temper with mustard seeds, red chillies, curry leaves & groundnuts

Enjoi !!!!

This is my entry for the event SWC - Karnataka hosted by Anisheetu ...

Thanks for hosting :)

34 comments:

Uma said...

mmm. pulihora! this is such a comfort food. Looks so delicious.

Illatharasi said...

Pulihora is my all time favourite... I am drooling over your pulihora :)

Priti said...

Umm looking so yummy...thanks for the recipe...now we can make instant too...otherwise always using the ready mix powders !!

notyet100 said...

looks awesome,,.feel like havin some..

Nidhi said...

I guess not just South Indians, but difficult for anybody to say a 'No' to Tamarind rice. Its my favorite of all the South Indian variety rice.
Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Sunshinemom said...

That groundnut in the center makes all the difference to the dish! we call it puliyam chaadam and it is another mixed rice favourite with me and my neighbour when I make it!!

Sukanya said...

I love Puliyodharai rice...Looks yummy. You have an ward waiting for you in my craft blog.

Sireesha said...

Its my all time favorite.Can eat anytime.......Looks awesome and splendid....

Sireesha said...

I have small treat for u at my blog:))

Kitchen Flavours said...

Looks Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy.

Aparna Inguva said...

Looks yum and colorful. Lovely pic

Purva Desai said...

wow this looks yumm...Deepthi...
Will try ur Instant version.....

rekhas kitchen said...

hi yes iam comming to bangalore this week end that means 16 th i will be there in bangalore if possible for u we will meat can u give mw your contact no.

Paru ... said...

I love Puliogare..Need to try your instant version..Looks Yumm

Paru
www.brindavanrecipes.blogspot.com

rekhas kitchen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Suma Rajesh said...

i luv tamarind rice...my fav ..past 2 weeks on sunday v prepared this rice...luv the tangy taste ..its tempting cing ur pic

Madhavi said...

First of all, ur pic is very tempting. Tamarind rice look so good, yummy yummy!!!

Bharti said...

I love love love love tamarind rice! Thanks for posting this "authentic instant" version!

Jayashree said...

Love your instant version....must try it out some time.

srikars kitchen said...

Pulihora is my all time favourite... Love your instant version...

Happy independence day

Aabharan said...

Looks very delicious! I will come back for the details to try this out.

Happy Independence day!

Aabharan said...

By the way - I forgot to tell you - I love the header of your blog and the profile pic - Thaali: looks delicious!

Laavanya said...

Thanks for this instant pulihora recipe... - looks delicious.

Usha said...

Looks delicious,loved the fact that it is instant and tasty will definitely try this,thanks for sharing :)

Kitchen Flavours said...

Happy Independence Day to u.

Seema said...

All time Favourite & tastes yum yum!!

Ramya Bala said...

A very good one dear...Its its tamarind rice fever gng on in all the blogs I see

Eco_smith said...

Thanks for the recipe!!
A short cut to this much loved recipe is always welcome.. will make it for my lunch pack tomorrow!!!

LG said...

Instant recipes! I am always on the look :) thanks for participating. Puilogare looks yumm..

Shreya said...

looks so good! Love the colour, my mouth is watering...

SriLekha said...

mmm... looking yummy!

Asha said...

Hi Suma, puliyogare looks mouthwatering!
I had some time today, thought I would say hello to you. Hope you are doing okay!:))
Some pros from bathroom and Kitchen companies coming today to give us a quote on new kitchen, exiting!!HeHe!!
Have a good week, hugs.

Nags said...

Yes, this is definitely much simpler than the one i made :)

julia f. Baca said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.