September 5, 2008

Kasuri Baingan


The whole of last week was crazy for me. With the festival coming up & a lot of errands to run, I just could'nt find time to blog & I must say, I was missing reading some wonderful posts.
I have come up with another favourite of mine .. Kasuri Baingan


I chanced upon this recipe in another website & loved the idea of adding Kasuri Methi i.e. Dried Fenugreek Leaves instead of the fresh ones because it can be stocked in your pantry for months.

I am a Big fan of Kasuri Methi & I try adding a bit of it to most of the gravies. It adds that extra ZiNG to the dish.

Time Required: 25-30 Mins

You Will Need:

  • 2 cups of Eggplant chopped into big cubes - any variety will do
  • 2-3 tbsp of Kasuri Methi ( dried fenugreek leaves) -
  • 1 onion - finely chopped
  • 1 large tomato - chopped
  • A small piece of finely chopped ginger
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp nigella seeds/kallonji
  • 1 tsp red chilli powder
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 2 green chillies - slit lengthwise
  • Salt as per taste
  • Oil
  • A pinch of sugar

Method:

  • Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a heavy bottomed pan, Once the oil heats up, Add cumin seeds & Nigella seeds
  • Once they pop & splutter, Add green chillies & chopped ginger
  • Add Onions & saute till they turn transparent.
  • Add tomatoes & saute for a minute
  • Add red chilli powder & fry till raw smell disappears
  • Add chopped eggplant cubes & saute for about 2 minutes. At this point you may need to add about 2 tsp of oil to saute the eggplants
  • Cover the lid & let it cook on low flame.
  • Keep stirring every few minutes to avoid burning the eggplants
  • When the eggplants are partially cooked, Add Kasuri Methi & mix well
  • Cook on low flame until the eggplants are completely cooked
  • Throw in the Garam Masala, a pinch of sugar & salt as per taste
  • Mix well & Serve with Garam Rotis

Enjoi !!!

This is my entry for the event, Herb Mania - Fenugreek hosted by Red Chillies .. Thanks for hosting :)

34 comments:

Priti said...

I have just opened your blog and same time received your comment :)..what a telepathy ;)...inbtw Kasuri Baingan looks yummy...Going to try this sometime soon..and hey the pic date as 01/01/2006?? Need to change the cam settings? :P

Priti said...

hehe...you can off the date display feature? ;) No worries dear...we all are plain lazy too ;)

Illatharasi said...

Good one.... love 2 try methi recipes!

notyet100 said...

nice curry,..looks delicious,./happy ganesha festival,..hope u dng great,.

Curry Leaf said...

Tasty baingan.Kasuri Methi enhances the baingan.

sowmya said...

great recipe..will try it!!

Shillu said...

Interesting combination. Looks delicious!

srikars kitchen said...

Tasty baingan.Kasuri Methi enhances the baingan.Nice entry,,, thxs for shar...

Cham said...

Love baigan in any form, looks delicious with methi flavor! Great entry!

Usha said...

Good idea using kasuri methi in baingan......looks delicious :)

Divya Vikram said...

Great recipe dear..You could send this to Herb Mania Fenugreek being hosted this month

SriLekha said...

nice curry! looks delicious!

Uma said...

eggplant and kasuri methi is such a delicious combo! looks so mouth-watering.

Vidhya said...

This recipe is very new to me. will try it soon. thanks for sharing

Spices N Aroma said...

Kasuri Baingan looks yummy...meethi n baingan quite a different combo!!

Jeena said...

I love the chunky nature of this recipe is looks amazing.

Purva Desai said...

Wow you are in Geneva, Its a beautiful city it reminds me my trip to Switzerland.

Kasuri Baigan sounds really different but really tempting.

Red Chillies said...

Thanks for the wonderful entry. This is a new combination to me and I am sure it tasted delicious.

Eco_smith said...

Lovely!! will try it next week!

Sireesha said...

Baingan is my all time favorite.Love baingan in any form, looks awesome with methi flavor.

meeso said...

I love to see new eggplant recipes, I always get stuck cooking it the same way... Looks delicious :)

Suma Rajesh said...

great and unique recipe baigan with kasuri methi..will be surly delicious...

LG said...

ummm...I can almost imagine the aroma of Kasuri Baingan..nice one..

nav33n said...

Wow ! Looks yummy! I hope it tastes great too.. Should try it sometime!

raaji said...

your recipe looks great....Thanks for dropping by.....keep visiting...

Divya said...

Looks divine. Nice entry for the event... I dont know to make anything with fenugreek, and now I am learning!

Sagari said...

very nice recipe ,looks delecioussss

Priti said...

U have award waiting for you in my blog..please collect it :)

Valarmathi said...

I am sure it tasted good.Will try it soon.

Sia said...

totally agree with u. i too add kasuri methi in almost all the gravies for that extra 'oomph' :)

A_and_N said...

I know what I'm having for dinner tonight! Seriously! Will try and let you know :)

Curry Leaf said...

Hi,Please accept friendship award,visit http://tastycurryleaf.blogspot.com/2008/09/poached-eggplant-salad.html

Sunshinemom said...

I love kasuri methi too, and add it in most dishes! Should have added a twist to the baingan!

vidhas said...

New recipe, surely i will try.