October 1, 2008

Apple Dal

Apple Dal ??? This was exactly how my expression was when I saw it on Sujatha's blog. I kept wondering how Dal made out of apple would taste. Something about the recipe caught my attention, & I made a mental note of it, to be tried on a later date.


I have a huge stack of bookmarked recipes that are waiting to see the light of the day. At times I come up with a menu plan for the entire week wherein certain lunches/dinners are reserved for trying out new recipes. Somehow, I am never able to stick to the plan either because there are left overs or because my pantry is not stocked with appropriate ingredients or more so because I am plain lazy.

And, I had happily forgotten about Apple Dal too until I saw some apples lying in my refrigerator unattended. These apples we had bought several weeks ago turned out so sour that neither of us touched them again. I & Shankar relish fruits so its not everyday that there are excess fruits in my pantry that go unnoticed. It didn't take too long for me to decide that we were going to have Apple Dal for dinner

The basic recipe is from Sujatha's blog & I have tweaked the recipe here & there to suit my taste

Here's how I made it :

Preparation Time
: 30 mins

You Will Need:
  • 1 cup toor dal
  • 1 onion - finely chopped
  • 1 tomato - finely chopped
  • 1 green apple - cut into cubes
  • 2-3 green chillies - finely chopped
  • 1 tsp - mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp - cumin seeds
  • 2 tsp - oil
  • A few curry leaves
  • 2 tsp - sambar powder
  • 1 tsp - corinader powder
  • 1 tsp - red chilli powder
  • 1/2 tsp - kitchen king masala (optional)
  • A pinch of Turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp - Garam Masala
  • Salt as per taste
  • 2 tbsp - lemon juice

Method:

  • Pressure cook Toor dal with a pinch of turmeric & salt
  • Soak apple cubes in water mixed with lemon juice for about 15 mins
  • Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan & add mustard & cumin seeds
  • Once the seeds pop & splutter, add chopped green chillies & curry leaves
  • Add chopped onions & saute till they turn transparent
  • Add apple cubes & cook for 5 minutes
  • Now, add chopped tomatoes
  • Add Sambar powder, Red chilli powder, Coriander powder, Kitchen king masala, & saute till the raw smell disappears
  • Add cooked toor dal & mix well
  • The apples will be fully cooked my now & will be soft & mushy
  • Add salt as per taste & add a pinch of Garam masala
  • Give the mixture a gentle mash & mix well
  • Cook on low flame for 10 mins

Transfer to a serving bowl & Serve with HOT rice or rotis .. Enjoi !!

I loved the slightly sweet & tangy taste of apples mixed with spices .. It had all the right ingredients to tickle our taste buds. We had our Dal with HOT steamed rice, accompanied by roasted papads, Yogurt & pickle. It was one complete meal we thoroughly enjoyed . .

NOTE:

  • You could consider cooking the apples along with toor dal in a pressure cooker.
  • If you do not like biting into apples, you could mash them into a paste or just boil them separately & puree them using a blender. This will keep people guessing about the secret ingredient.
  • Addition or Deletion of spices is entirely upto you.

When are you making Apple Dal?

62 comments:

Cham said...

I remember her apple dhal, i love the chunck bite of apple so u can ve a sweet , spicy taste :) Looks divine the fruit dhal :)

Curry Leaf said...

looks delicious,will give a try thanks for the recipe

Uma said...

When am I making the apple dal? Let me see! I also make it now and then. I learned it from my sister.

You've tempted me with this dal with your gorgeous picture. I remember seeing this in Sujatha's blog.

Vidhya said...

Looks really delicious. Thanks for the recipe Deesha. Will try it next time. Atleast we have some tangy recipes to share with fruits also :-)

rekhas kitchen said...

oooh that is fantastic dear even i bookmarked that from sujathas blog when iam going to do it ido'nt know pic and recipe bouth are supper

Indranee said...

Apple dal is really a unique recipe...would have to try it.I'm sure it'll taste good. Hope u r doing well...wish u all the best!

Happy cook said...

Yeah that is exactly i asked when i read the tittle.
But when i saw thepicture, it looks so delicious

sowmya said...

intersting!! will make this today!!

Dershana said...

Hi Deesha, that's an interesting recipe. the picture too looks tempting.

Sireesha said...

Interesting recipe deesha:) Pic is drooling......

LG said...

Apple dal looks drooly drooly in the pic. Apple Pickles are also made, my guest author has blogged it on cooking station :)

TS said...

how different! it certainly looks good though.

cheers, trupti
The Spice Who Loved Me

Priti said...

I have too have bookmarked the apple dal recipe for long and was wondering same as you. Now that you have also given the thumbs up for the recipes...it's time for me to try now I guess ;)..inbtw the pic is cool..and dal looking yummy.....

Bhawna said...

Apple Dal sounds good for my 20 months old son...Thanks for sharing.

Bhawna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sapna Anu B.George said...

Great dish......very versetile , will try out

Usha said...

That is the exact thing I was thinking when I saw your title..apple in dhal ? but your pics and description sold me on it...will definitely try this :)

Divya Vikram said...

The apple dhall looks wonderful..I should try this..

Bharti said...

That has to be the most unique dal recipe ever! very cool!

meeso said...

Sounds interesting and worth a try... and it's also very healthy!

Madhavi said...

WOW must try dal, looks/sounds delicious. Great recipe and thanxxx for sharing!!!

Swati Raman Garg said...

and the most unique dal recipe award goes to u n sujatha.... clap clap clap/... very interesting n nic pics...

Ramya Bala said...

hey deepthi,the name of the recipe shud have been masala apple dhal..hehhee..garam masala,KK...Am in the list to try :)

Cynthia said...

Dal, being a favourite of mine and a comfort food makes this apple dal a MUST-TRY!

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

this is really a new dish i have never heard of. Sounds yummy.. i have made thokku(pickle) with green apple and carrot.. it tastes so good.. i am sure this dhal would also taste great coz green apples are sour and they can be used in place of green raw mangoes.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

love the picture.. are u the photographer?

Valarmathi said...

Apple dal unique recipe. Sounds interesting. Picture looks good and tempting.

Sia said...

did u just ask when i am making apple dal?
soon.. :)

Adlak's tiny world said...

oh no apple with dal. i feel it wont be nice but yr pic tepmt me to try it. Can we make it with indian red apples. willit be good.

Maria said...

Great photo! Looks fabulous!

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

My aunt is the one who cooks fruits with dhal I havent tried this kind, shall see how they come out...

mitr_bayarea said...

Very rich looking dhal, could relate to the first paragraph of your post on planning lunch/dinners for the week. Same story for me, too.

raaji said...

Oh God!!!!Is there an Apple event or something......i could see most of the blogs with apple recipes.........Anyways this sounds a bit strange but whatts wrong in giving it a try....

jayasree said...

Interesting dal recipe. Your pics are droolworthy.

Laavanya said...

I found this recipe rather intriguing too when I saw it on SUjatha's blog but am yet to try. Nice to know you enjoyed it :)

Shreya said...

i ve been meaning to try this too! Good effort, and love the result:-) I should be making it soon too:-)

Nidhi said...

I too had a question mark on me after reading the Post's name :)

would try it sometime.

delhibelle said...

Very soon, now that your yummy post has reminded me :)

n33ma said...

This is a completely new recipe and combination.....will have to give it a try.Looks good.

Alka said...

Now who can gather up courage to cook apples with dal?But u actually did it...and it looks so tempting too...

Suma Rajesh said...

looks great..

Sapna Anu B.George said...

Deesha, when you get time, check this out too www.kallupalathinkal.blogspot.com,that might intrest you more, thanks for the visit to my poetry page

Jaishree said...

Apple dal unique recipe. Sounds interesting.Looks fabulous!

Meeta said...

hi deesha - thank you for visiting my blog! this apple dal truly sounds unique. lovely!

Nikita said...

hi deesha, thank you for visiting my blog. Nice blog you have got there!

Vibaas said...

interesting recipe deesha. i tried apple thokku with green apples and they were awesome too. will try this and let u know how it came :)

Gita's Kitchen said...

Hi Deesha,
Thanks for the comment. You have a lovely blog here. I loved the dishes like baby corn fry and cucumber poha.

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Very new to me:)May be like you I am also having sour apples in fridge,may be I can give it a try!

Kitchen Flavours said...

I too bookmarked this recipe long back from her blog. Hmm enjoying the blog flavours. Gr8! Dal looks awesome.

Sujatha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sujatha said...

Hi Deesha, I did leave a comment in my previous post after reading your comment about Apple dal.. but didn't know you had posted it in your blog :)

I'm glad you liked it.. :) I too like the sweet and tangy spices going well together in this dish.. Dal looks awesome!! Thanks for trying and letting me know :)

Purva Desai said...

Apple dal looks really drooling and the click makes it more tempting...
Thanks for sharing

PG said...

a wonderful recipe! Tempting picture! Will tell you once I make it too.
Good to have you at my blog.

TBC said...

I make a gojju with apples. I guess it's time for me to try a dal now, eh? :-)

Arundathi said...

apple dal? what a great idea! i make apple pachadi - but this sounds great!

Seena said...

Wonderful, Deesha, Glad to meet one more blogger from Ind.Thanks for visiting mine, will add u to my blog list.. :)

Vani said...

Apple dal sounds nice! I make apple gojju an dlove it! I'm sure I'll love this one as well :)

Aish said...

Jus made it..LOVED it!! IT WAS INDEED A HUGE HIT!

Sunshinemom said...

Such an unusual dal! Must try it:)

Jaya said...

excellent recipe Deesha, i am now digging more in your Lovely Site LOL...
will try it out soon
hugs and smiles

UjjU said...

Apple dal? Never heard of it Deesha. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Shall surely give it a try. :)

Premyscakes said...

Hey Deesha, Iam just going thru your blog and amazed of all your recipies, luv this apple dal and going to try this out. thanks