While I was going through my list of posts, I realized, I hadn't posted a single dessert/sweet dish. We aren't really fond of sweets, There are very few sweets that we relish, & one among them is the mother of all desserts - Carrot Halwa. Though we are introduced to world cuisine, Carrot Halwa still holds the pride of place among Indian desserts.
As with most recipes, there are various versions of this dish. Even though the process is slightly labour intensive, every tiny bit of this heavenly dessert is worth it.
Here's my version,
Preparation Time : 1 hour
- Grated carrots - 4 cups
- Milk - 4 cups
- Ghee/clarified butter - 1/4 cup
- Sugar - 2 cups
- 2 tsp - green cardamon powder
- A handful of cashewnuts - chopped
- A handful of raisins
- Heat 2 tsps of ghee in a heavy bottomed pan & fry raisins & cashewnuts until golden brown. Remove & set aside
- Add grated carrots & saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add 4 cups of milk & stir at regular intervals.
- Cook until milk is completely absorbed
- Mix in ghee & sugar & stir till sugar is completely dissolved & carrots get a glaze.
- Turn off the stove, Add in green cardamom powder & mix well
- Garnish with chopped cashewnuts & raisins.