December 13, 2008

Baingan Ka Bharta - Smoked Eggplant Curry

Punjabi cuisine is wholesome & full of rustic flavors. If you love punjabi food, I bet you will love Baingan Ka Bharta. This simple dish from the land of Punjab, has a very distinct flavor because of the use of mustard oil. Smoked eggplant gives it a very earthy flavor that you will love.

Baingan Ka Bharta is relatively healthier as compared to other punjabi dishes as it does not require liberal use of desi ghee or oil. This is simple enough to be tried by a novice too


Preparation Time: 30 mins

Ingredients:

  • 1 large eggplant
  • 2 red onions - finely chopped
  • 2 tomatoes - chopped
  • 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
  • 1 cup green peas - fresh/frozen
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 chopped green chilli
  • 1 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • 1/2 tsp kitchen king masala
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • Salt as per taste
  • 2 tbsp mustard oil
  • A handful of chopped cilantro

Method:
  • Make tiny slits around the eggplant, coat with mustard oil & roast it in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 mins, till the eggplant gets charred on all the sides. You could even roast the eggplant on the stove top.
  • Once the eggplant is roasted, allow it to cool. Later, peel off the skin & mash the eggplant with the back of a fork. Add salt & lime juice, mix well & set it aside
  • Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, Add cumin seeds, once the seeds pop & splutter, add green chillies & ginger garlic paste & saute
  • Add chopped onions & saute until they turn transparent.
  • Add chopped tomatoes, add red chilli powder & saute till the tomatoes are cooked & oil separates
  • To this, add mashed eggplant & green peas. Mix well & cook for a while on low heat.
  • Add salt as per taste. Add garam masala & kitchen king masala, mix well. Garnish with chopped cilantro

Serve HOT with Rotis/Rice. Enjoi !!!

Serve as a dip with pita chips for a change. Iam sure your guests will love this.


NOTE:
  • You could use vegetable oil/sunflower oil too. But Mustard oil gives it a very different flavor.
  • DO NOT wash the smoked eggplant in cold water to cool it down. Else, it will lose the smoky flavor.
  • You can even use charcoal to roast the eggplant, It will taste even better.

51 comments:

veggie belly said...

I'm not a big fan of eggplant, but I think im becoming a convert after seeing your post :)

sowmya said...

i have to try the oven..i am very lazy to do on the stovetop..thats the reason I make this rarely...but i love it..yours looks yummy

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

lovely and colorful pic...

Curry Leaf said...

Will try this version and let u know.Bye till then

Sharmila said...

Baingan bharta is always a favourite. Yours looks good. :-)

Sara said...

This sounds delicious, I love eggplant.

Shama Nagarajan said...

looking perfect.......nice recipe

Sujatha said...

my favorite eggplant dish, recently saw it someone's blog too.. You all are tempting me to make this dish tomorrow.. :)

Looks colorful and awesome Deesha!

Roopa said...

I love bangan ka bartha:) Photo looks too good!!

Uma said...

yummy dish. baingan bharta looks so mouth-watering.

rekhas kitchen said...

woow bharta looks mouthwatering nice pic.

srikars kitchen said...

wow.. looks so colourful & perfect.. nice click..

Bharathy said...

Haven't tried making this dish so far...Lovely looking baingan bhartha here.. :)
Love the unusaul blue strawberry in ur profile ;) cute!

Laavanya said...

This is the dish that actually made me start liking eggplants - love the picture.

meeso said...

Yum, looks excellent, great picture!

Premyscakes said...

Looks so colorful and mouth watering.

Jaishree said...

Baingan bharta looks so colorful and mouth watering.Nice click deesha

Smitha said...

Love baigan bharta

AnuSriram said...

Thats delicious!

Archy said...

I like the smoky taste of barta.. hmm.. pics are so tempting me to make an have them.. Simple and easy Deesha..

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Great,clear picture deesha!Love it!

Red Chillies said...

Nice picture. I also cook the baingan in microwave that way it saves some time. Like your version too.

Shankar said...

Yours quality of content for receipies & snaps is truly appreicable. Each time a different cuisine comes out. Looking forward to all your postings..

Happy cook said...

Delicious. I will love them with roties.
yummmy

Gopi Shah said...

this curry is my favourite too!

Jeena said...

This looks so good!

Uj said...

Very nice pic.. I mw Baingan as I am scared to roast it.. But I have plans to go ahead and try the roasted one too. Love the smoky aroma of that..

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow looks yummy. With all those onion pieces makes me drool.

Vij said...

Lovely pics! the curry looks so yummy!

Valarmathi said...

Ver nice recipe. Good click.

Sunshinemom said...

My favorite way to eat baingan! Very attractive garnishing!

Sushma said...

wow!!, I love baigan bartha & the pictures here are very inviting.., will try your version soon :)
Also, thanks for visiting my blog & leaving those nice comments..

Usha said...

Looks delicious,great pictures !

Priya said...

Colourful baigan bartha..pics r really very inviting...

Purva Desai said...

Baigan Bhartha is a must once in a week at my place.....my hubby enjoys the smoked flavours of the baigan...
Pic looks inviting

Sukanya Ramkumar said...

This is my fav. Looks so good. Nice recipe. So colorful. YUM!

Gita's Kitchen said...

Great idea of serving this as a dip, love the picture Deesha :)

anudivya said...

Firstly awesome pic... smoked eggplant sounds great to me!

Sharmila said...

Hi Deesha! I've tagged you for a good cause. Pls check out my blog for details. :-)

Shreya said...

hi, I love this dish, and have always had this at restaurants only. Your recipe is tempting, and I love the grean peas added:-)

Andhra Flavors said...

baingan bharta looks delicious. my mum also used to make somthing with smoked eggplant.

Ramya Bala said...

wow..looks so yummy deepthi...

ANd thanks for ur concern dear :)

Geri said...

Sounds really good but you can't get mustard oil in the U.S. They outlawed because they feel it's not healthy. What could I subsitute for the oil?

Sheetal Kiran said...

Drooolworthy photograph!! Growing up, I was the only one who loved baingan ka bharta, and boy was I glad about that .. whenever mum made some, I had lots of it to myself :D I have never tried roasting it with mustard oil .. sounds very interesting and must render the eggplant with a nice kick!

Sharmi said...

picturing eggplant is very difficult. your bharta looks so good!

PG said...

My mom always roasted them on the stove top. I have tried baigan bharta with cooked eggplant and I found that it didn't taste even half as good as the one made by my mom. I didn't know abou the use of mustard oil. But, I'm a big fan of it and will make sure that I add it to the baingan bharta next time. I somehow never got it so right in the oven. Will try your method.

notyet100 said...

delicious,...;-)

Sudeshna said...

Hi Deesha,
This is the first time am visiting your blog. Baigan bharta looks lovely.
I posted the same sometime back, and I used my stove to do the roasting aprt, check this out.
http://bengalicuisine.wordpress.com/2008/11/04/baigan-bharta/

Sophie said...

This sounds like a deliciously aromatic dish...yum, smoked eggplant and all those spices! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone! I do not know where to begin but hope this site will be useful for me.
In first steps it is really good if someone supports you, so hope to meet friendly and helpful people here. Let me know if I can help you.
Thanks in advance and good luck! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi


Moe is the Founder of Mansour Engineering Ltd. He founded the company in 1978, and has extensive experience in mechanical system design, temperature control system design, industrial facilities design and field analysis of mechanical systems. His experience includes new and retrofit design, facility engineering in hospital design, office buildings, high-rise buildings and special projects. His field experience with construction support and commissioning services has given him a comprehensive and practical approach to the solution of design problems.

[url=http://www.mansour.ca] click here to go to Mansour Engineering[/url]


http://www.mansour.ca