Once such chutney, we make at home is the Horse Gram chutney. This is made particularly when the temprature dips, as Horse Gram is known to increase body temprature & keep one warm.
- 1 cup Horse Gram/Hurali Kaalu
- 1/2 cup grated coconut - fresh/frozen
- 1 tbsp grated jaggery
- 8 - 10 red dry red chillies ( I used Byadagi )
- A handful of curry leaves
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp tamarind extract
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- salt as per taste
- Dry roast Horse Gram until fragrant & keep aside to cool
- Grind the roasted gram to a coarse powder & set aside
- Heat a tsp of oil & roast the red chillies, coriander seeds & curry leaves
- In a Mixer, blend together grated coconut, jaggery, tamartnd extract, curry leaves, red chillies, & coriander seeds by adding little water
- Add salt, ground horse gram & blend again to combine. Add water if necessary
- Temper with mustard seeds, curry leaves & 2 broken red chillies.
Serve with HOT steamed rice & Enjoi !!!
This is a little different from the usual chutneys as the Horse Gram is dry roasted & ground. Spiked with red chillies & coriander seeds & with just a little hint of jaggery adding that much needed flavour, this one is a must try.
Hope you enjoy this one as much as we did . .
This goes to Mane Adige's Chutney/Dip Mania !!