March 31, 2009

Bisi Bele Baath - The Authentic Way

I am doing so much better with my finger injury. It has now completely healed & Iam back to my old routine now. Thanks so much for your concern people, I really did mean a lot to me. I am going to be a million times more careful next time I grate something :D

Just the other day, one of my readers, Hema asked me for the authentic Bisi Bele Baath (BBB) recipe. It then struck me that I still hadn't posted the recipe for BBB. I googled a bit to check out other versions of BBB, but I was taken by surprise to find out that there are very few versions out there that are authentic. That's when I decided to post my very own family recipe for Bisi Bele Baath - The Authentic Way.

Bisi Bele Baath is a signature dish of the Kannadigas, BBB is undoubtedly my favorite amongst all karnataka dishes. For, its quite simple to make, it has a rich flavour to tickle your taste buds & is very very healthy.

The recipe out here is more common in the Bangalore-Mysore regions of Karnataka. You will probably find most households around this region, preparing BBB in this way more or less.

I learnt this from my Grand Mom who in turn learnt it from her Grand Mom, so this one is a family recipe & a very authentic one at that.

Here it is,

You Will Need:

  • 1/2 cup Toor Dal
  • 1/2 cup Rice ( I used Sona Masuri )
  • 2 tomatoes - chopped
  • 1 cup french beans - chopped
  • 1 potato - cubed
  • 1 carrot - cubed
  • 1 green bell pepper - cubed
  • 1 cup cauliflower florets
  • A handful of double beans ( optional)
  • A handful of green peas - fresh/frozen
  • A few curry leaves
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • A pinch of asafoetida/Hing
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp oil
  • 3 tsp desi ghee
  • Salt as per taste
  • 5-6 cashewnuts

To grind:

  • 2 tbsp grated coconut - fresh/frozen
  • 10 - 12 dry red chillies ( I used Byadagi )
  • 2 tsp coriander seeds
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 2 inch stick of cinnamon
  • 6 green cardamoms
  • 4 cloves
  • 2 tsp poppy seeds
  • 1 tsp dagad phool/rock flower/Kallu Hoovu
  • A small lemon sized ball of tamarind soaked in water

Method:

  • Pressure cook toor dal until completely cooked & set aside
  • Meanwhile, roast all the ingredients mentioned in the 'to-grind' list except coconut & tamarind, with a tsp of oil until fragrant. Grind along with grated coconut & tamarind into a smooth paste.
  • Take a pressure cooker, Add cooked toor dal. Along with it, add carrots, beans & potatoes & double beans. bring it to a boil.
  • To this mixture, add the ground paste & bring it to a boil again. Add a tsp of ghee at this point to avoid the bottom of the cooker from getting burnt. Keep stirring at regular intervals. Boil this mixture on low flame for about 5 minutes.
  • Wash rice in several changes of water & add it to the boiling mixture, give it a gentle stir.
  • Add the remaining vegetables & add about 3 cups of water. Adjust salt as per taste. Add 2 tsp of ghee/oil & close the lid & let it cook completely.
  • Once the cooker releases pressure, open the lid. Temper with mustard seeds, curry leaves, cashewnuts, turmeric & asafoetida.

Mix well & serve HOT with a dollop of ghee on top & Raita . . . Enjoi !!!



NOTE:
  • The consistency of BBB should be rather watery. Once complelely cooked, if you find the dish slightly thick, add some water & boil the mixture. This dish is very forgiving that way.
  • The whole idea of cooking toor dal twice is to prevent the dish from getting hard once it cools down. But if you ensure that the dal is twice cooked, the baath will retain its watery consistency
  • DO NOT add onions while making BBB. I often find a lot of people adding onions to this dish. Addition of onions gives this dish 'a sambar' like taste, since the ingredients used in sambar are more or less same. So remember, NO onions.
  • Replace Tamarind with 3 tsp of lime juice for a slightly different taste.

We had this for our Ugadi lunch along with cucumber raita & potato chips. We were really close to licking our plates.
This dish is very close to my heart. Hope you guys like this too.

63 comments:

meeso said...

That really looks good, I have never tried to make this but now I would like to try your recipe :)

Rajitha said...

thanks for sharing your family recipe. yes, i add onions in my BBB...will not do it the next time. will try ur recipe in a few days and will let you know!

Asha said...

YUM! Love the color, must be from Badgi menasinakai. Except Cardamom, I use those ingredients too. Good one, I will try your version too! :)

Webinsider said...

Hello:

blogoxy brings new readers to your blog. Its technology identifies "similar articles" in a blog and connects them together.

Your readers will be benefited by viewing your old articles about the same topic. Also, blogoxy publishes links to your articles on other blogs in blogoxy network. This brings new readers to your blog.

Here is the list of widgets for your blog:

http://blogoxy.com/member/widget.php?id=163

Best Regards,
Deek

Cham said...

I always added onion, i will try when i make next time without. Lovely color!

Priya Sriram said...

Wow.. looks delicious and wonderful! Love the color Deesha! :)

Indhu said...

bisi bele baath looks soo delicious... was looking for an authentic recipe for a long time :)

raaji said...

Hi Deesha....
How are u doing???
Nice to see this dish since i too had it sterday....
Sorry that u cut ur finger slightly....

Ashwini said...

Mouthwatering Deesha.. It has been long time since I have made this. I too use same ingredients except for the cadamoms..Looks yumm

AnuSriram said...

Wow.. this is so colourful! Looks lovely! I make this atleast once a week or so... Quite easier than making anything else i feel.

Madhu said...

BBB looks so colourful, it been a while since i made them. Nice spice masala, will try this next time i make them.

Priya said...

WOWow wat a terrific BBB..its has been a long i prepared them...Urs BBB makes me hungry, even i finished my dinner:(

Vidhya said...

yummy... I have not seen rock flower. If possible could you please post the picture or give me the link to know more about that

Vibaas said...

looks so yummy. my version is different too, but i won't call it authentic :D i will bookmark your recipe.

Vani said...

Nice color of the BBB, Deesha! Hope you are healing well.

LG said...

Color super kanri! Byadagi menasinakayi rang layi :D BBB ke 4 yaar raita, chips, boondi or happala :D antha anna bahudu ankothini nodi!

Sanghi said...

Lovely click and delicious deesha..! Love it a lot..!:)

Priti said...

Yummy...looks so gud...I love it wit chips ;) and gud to know you are doing fine

Deepa Hari said...

Love the color of the BBB Deesha...looks lovely and authentic.

Smitha said...

this dish is so famous in bangalore. There was a time when we used to have it everyday:)

sriharivatsan said...

Wow, what a color and texture...Love it..Makes me tempted very much Deesha...Even My BBB will have lot of small sambar onions.."No onions to BBB" is new to me..Surely will try your version...Tx for sharing an authentic family recipie dear...Nice to know that you are almost to normal routine...Take care...Cheers..

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Pretty picture of bisi bela lath! Take care :)

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

wow what a presentation.. looks authentic indeed!

Uma said...

How did you get that pretty color? BBB looks gorgeous and mouth-watering. Nice authentic recipe!

Sunshinemom said...

I make this a lot too. Earlier used to make my own spice mixture but since my parents shifted to Bangalore I use the readymade masala which is very very good. I must try your version as I never added poppy seeds. Yours looks appetizing - for me mixed rice preparations are appetizers!!

jayasree said...

Wow what a lovely color. I too make almost the same way. Except that I cook the rice and dal together separately. when you say its authentic, I am sure I will will try ur version, next time.
Glad to know, you are back to routine.

Happy cook said...

Just reading the list of ndrigients makes me drool, wish i had a bowl from that.

srikars kitchen said...

wow.. nice colour.. looks mouthwatering..,

Madhumathi said...

Amazing!Your bisebelabath is tempting me..Love the pictures :)

Trupti said...

BBB looks mouthwatering Deesha. Lovely color & nice click

Ramya Bala said...

The picture itself is so tempting deepthi..YUMMY dear

Laavanya said...

I love BBB but the version I use has no tomatoes and uses onions. Will try yours sometime.

Madhavi said...

Oh this bath looks tempting and lovely presentation too!!!

Mangala Bhat said...

wow nice recipe :) thanks :)

Gita's Kitchen said...

Good to know you are feeling better now :) I should definitely try out this authentic version, looks so good and colorful!

A_and_N said...

That is authentic for sure! Look like my granny's :)

rekhas kitchen said...

i too add onions to this oohhho so because of onions mine is taste like sambar rice ok ok next time i remove the onions thank u so much for the delicious recipe deesha so beaytiful color and looks so yummmy

veggie belly said...

i love bisi bele bath, its so delicious and comforting. how wonderful that you have a recipe thats been passed down generations. im defenitely trying this!

Valarmathi said...

Nice color and nice picture too. Should definitely try this.

Dibs said...

The colour turned out great - so much depends on thye chilli! The tip on cooking dal twice is really good. We prepare bbb too for many genberations now - we've always been adding onions. Would love to try this version out!

Raaga said...

I love the presentation. My BBB looks so pale in comparison :)

Rachel said...

Never got down to making this as yet.

vidhas said...

Good your wound has healed. Lovley bisibelabath. Surely going to try. Awesome click. Looks tempting.

Usha said...

Good to know that your finger is healed...the bbb looks fantastic, this is one of my faves :-)

Vanamala said...

Looks nice...slightly different from mine.

Sujatha said...

I make this quite often, and usually the authentic way.. Your ingredients look a little different with kallu hoovu, cardamom etc.. hmm, I can already smell the flavour from it!! :) Will try your way next time..

Glad to know that your finger injury is better now.. take care.

farida said...

Another great post which teaches me so much about diverse Indian cuisine. Looks very delicious!

Namratha said...

I like that you made your very own BBB powder, looks refreshing! :)

Food Fanatic said...

yum i had this last sunday and it was soo good. maybe i will try it soon

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM!!! YUM!!!.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Vishali said...

Love the Bisebele bath Deesha...and congrats on the 51st comment! :D!

Pooja said...

Looking delicious deesha..

ARUNA said...

Hi Deesha, awesome dish.....pictures r gorgeous!!

wajid said...

Delicious Recipes
Awesome effort
Keep up the good work
For Vegetarian Recipes Visit http://vegetarianspot.blogspot.com/

Sharmila said...

Gotta try with the poppy seeds Deesha ... sounds cool. :-)

Recipe man said...

looks great! thanks i love poppy seeds. great site!

Recipe man said...

hey this looks so good. im sure to try this out soon.
thanks. great blog

Hema said...

Hey Deesha, I tried out your bisibela bath receipe. It turned out tasty. All my family members liked it a lot.
Will keep trying others too.
Thanks.

kittymatti said...

colour looks perfect! My fav dish!

Anonymous said...

Authentic Bisibelebath doesnt use Tomatoes. Neither does it use fresh coconut, or potatoes, or cauliflower! And this is such a crude way of making BBB. Adding the masala paste is always at the end. Cooking the rice along with everything would just give you mashed paste of everything together! Btw, adding onions is what renders BBB tastiest! Also, any seasoned cook wouldnt just add water to a ready dish...you should add warm/hot water so the raw taste isnt present. Maybe you should learn some finesse in cooking first, and then we can talk about authenticities later!!

Put up what you like, but please don't claim this to be authentic.

- Savita Rao

DEESHA said...

Savita, would you please mind sending me, what your authentic BBB recipe is like???
And BTW when it comes to adding onions, no good cook worth his salt, will add onions to BBB. Have you ever eaten BBB with onions at weddings & other functions?? And, is that BBB not tasty. This BBB recipe turns out really fine. And regarding the addition of coconut, a few of them add kobbari instead of fresh coconut & tomatoes give out that awesome tangy taste as compared to using only tamarind as a souring agent. Ans yes you may or may not add cauliflower, I am a huge fan & i do add it .. doesn't alter the taste in any way. And yes, cooking everything does not make BBB into a paste.
I am a true blue kannadiga & this is how an authentic BBB is more or less made. And yes it tastes as good as the ones made by GOOD cooks at weddings
If you have the inclination, do come over sometime, I shall treat you with authentic BBB

Thanks
Deesha

Shilpa said...

Deesha this is my first time at your blog, after seeing the photo had to try this out, it was literally plate licking good :), thanx for sharing ur yummy family recipe.

Anonymous said...

hi,

Ur recipe is mouth watering can i skip rock flower as i could not find that in any shop ???