July 22, 2009

South Indies: Kokum Tambli

I am a huge fan of yogurt based gravies/Tambli .. And, I whip it up quite often as it is quite a convenient option for a light meal & is very very healthy.

Of the many vegetables/fruits I use to make such gravies, A not so common gravy is that of Kokum .. A very popular fruit in the costal areas of Karnataka & Goa, this is know to have various health benefits & acts as a coolant ..

Kokum is sun dried to make it available all year round. I normally buy huge packs of sun dried kokum & it can be stored for ages.


You Will Need:

  • 4 sundried Kokum
  • 3 tbsp grated coconut - fresh
  • 2 green chillies -low to medium spiced
  • 2 tsp grated ginger
  • 5-6 peppercorns
  • 2 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/2 cup yogurt
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • A few curry leaves
  • 2 broken dry red chillies
  • Salt as per taste
  • 1 tsp desi ghee
Method:
  • Soak sundried kokum in warm water for about 20 minutes. Squeeze the juice out & discard dry skin.
  • Grind together, grated coconut, green chillies, a tsp of cumin seeds, peppercorns & ginger into a smooth paste adding a tbsp of yogurt
  • In a bowl, whisk together kokum juice, ground paste & yogurt. Add salt as per taste & temper with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies & curry leaves.
Serve with HOT steamed rice ... Enjoi !!!

Kokum when soaked in water, leaves out a dark purple colored juice which adds a lovely hue to your tambli.


This goes to Monsoon Spice for RCI: Udipi & Mangalore , started by Lakshmi

41 comments:

ARUNA said...

looks awesome Deesha and it looks so great in that coconut shell!!

Shankar said...

Tambli is my Ajji's patent. You beat her on Kokum tambli as this dish was even new to her... My Ajji is in competition now...

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

What is kokum ?
I love the coconut shell too and love anything with yogurt...

Sireesha said...

I'm smacking my lips at the thought of eating this :)

Mangala Bhat said...

Looks awesome ...:)

Smitha said...

Looks yummy... Wonder if you are sending this recipe to the RCI Mangalore Udupi hosted by Sia @ Monsoon spice..fits the theme and of course is delicious looking...

Kalyani said...

looks great & wonderful in a coconut shell ......

Padma said...

Looks delicious and nice presentation in that coconut shell :)

Anu said...

Looks delicious and nice presentation...............

Ann said...

Oh Dear! What an authentic picture.. I just love the cocoo shell presentation. Recipe sounds yum.

Vani said...

Lovely lovely picture, Deesha! I've never tried cooking with kokum before. This sounds wonderful!

Ramya said...

Ive never cooked with Kokum b4..Sounds interesting!!

Poornima Nair said...

I too love yogurt based gravies. I could just drink bowls of it. That gravy sounds great with kokum and coconut. Great presentation.

Red Chillies said...

Looks good Deesha. I make Kokum kadi at home and did not know that yougrt could be added to make Tambli. Good one!

Gopi Shah said...

I had similar type of dish called goan kadhi and I just loved it.

aquadaze said...

lip smacking!! i regularly make sol kadhi with kokum, this is a new recipe for me which I can't wait to try!!

LG said...

I have a packet of kokum which I bought recently. I will try it out.

Sush said...

kokum tambli.., I love this.., after ginger tambli, this is my second fav tambli..
loved your presentation.

Vibaas said...

this looks soooo yum deesha!

kittymatti said...

wow! delicious and awesome presentation..back from the trip..the kodubales were a big hit they got over the very first 2 days!!!
My uncle asked me to tell u particularly that the recipe is very good!

Suparna said...

hi Deesha,
I love yogurt based dishes too :) and love kokum kadi/tambli :)
All the clicks look damn good.
Thaks for refreshing memories of my native :)
TC

Raaga said...

lovely... I have always eaten but never made tambli... you could send this to the RCI Udupi and Mangalore edition.

K said...

Just love this anytime:) can lick that bowl clean:)

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Looks so nice,new to me:) Nice presentation!!

Parita said...

Lovely presentation deesha, i have not made aynthing from kokum other than drinks, this sounds super delicious and with coconut sure a winner!

Kitchen Flavours said...

Heard of it....but never tasted it...looks completely yum....

Nags said...

that's a lovely pic, and a perfectly cut coconut shell :)

notyet100 said...

looks yum,..;-),..lovely click too,..

Miakoda said...

I am flabbergasted! This is one of the most delicious fruits I know, mangosteen, and I didn't have a clue it has such a use- sun dried and all. Thanks!

Prathibha said...

Yummy tambli in a nice coconut bowl...looks really gr8

Valarmathi said...

New to me. Looks great and yummy.

Veggie Belly said...

Beautiful presentation..I love how youve served this in the coconut shell :)

Divya Vikram said...

Love the first picture and great recipe.

Suma Rajesh said...

awesome..loved the presentation sooooo much..

Yasmeen said...

Looks lovely in the shell.will look for cooling kokum in Indian stores here :P

raaji said...

very authentic presentation deesha...but am not sure what kokum is excatly.

A_and_N said...

I love yogurt based dishes too! :) and the pic is lovely.

Nithya Praveen said...

I too love any yogurt based dishes....looks lovely.Great presentation too:)

Dibs said...

I bought Kokum to try Sol Kadi recipe. Glad to have found this ..and now I can try this out too! Lovely dish!

Aparna Prabhu said...

Thank u for dropping at my space.......m missing kokum here when i see ne thing about kokum i feel more hungry...Loved it :)...hope to c u at my space always will visit u too

Now Serving said...

Hi First time here - this is a good recipe - planning to make this today Thanks for sharing this :)