- 1 cup Black Eyes Peas/Lobia/Dudhi/Alsande Kaalu (soaked overnight or atleast for 4-5 hrs)
- 1 cup Bottle Gourd/Lauki/Sorekai - ( peeled, cored & cubed into 1 inch cubes )
- 2 onions - finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes - finely chopped
- 2 green chillies - slit lengthwise
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt as per taste
- Pressure cook black eyed peas or cook on stove top until tender & set aside
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan & splutter mustard seeds, green chillies, curry leaves & turmeric.
- Add chopped onions & saute until it turns pink
- Add chopped tomatoes & red chilli powder & saute for 5 minutes.
- To this, add bottle gourd cubes & mix well. Add about 1/2 a cup of water & a tsp of salt. Cover with a lid & let it cook on medium flame. Keep stirring in between. When bottle goured cubes are fully cooked ( this should take about 12-15 mins ), Add cooked black eyed beans & Mix well
- Check for salt. Add Garam Masala & mix well
Serve HOT with warm Phulkas or even steamed Rice. Enjoi !!!
I had these with Rotis & Yogurt & It really was an awesome meal. Makes a perfect weeknight dinner.
I might even try a simple sprouted Stir Fry with this some time. Watch this space for more ...