November 26, 2009

Corn On The Cob

I always always associate Corn on the Cob or Bhutta in typical Bambaiyya language with some very warm childhood memories.

There are a zillion times when we friends have ran down the street to have our Bhutta on a gloomy monsoon evening & the Bhuttawallah ( Corn on the Cob Vendor ) was always round the corner, roasting corn cobs on a charcoal grill.

If you cannot find a Bhuttawallah in your neck of woods, Make them at home. This is really as simple as it can get.

Corn on the cob

As I don't have a charcoal grill at home, I steamed the corn cobs & roasted them directly over the stove top.

You Will Need:

  • 2 Corn Cobs
  • Kosher Salt
  • Lemon - sliced into quarters
  • Black Pepper Powder
  • Red Chilli Powder ( Optional )

How To:

  • Peel back the husks & remove the excess corn silk
  • Steam the corn cobs in the microwave or on stove top for about 5-6 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, Mix together kosher salt & red chilli powder in a small bowl. If red chilli powder is too HOT for your taste, replace with Black pepper powder. I added about 1/2 a tsp of black pepper powder. Set aside.
  • Once done, Pat dry & Grill the corn cobs over medium heat for 10-12 mins. Keep turning them frequently.
  • I roasted the corn cobs over the stove top. This is very quick & it gets done in about 3-4 minutes.
  • When some of the kernels are browned, dip a quarter of the lemon slice into the salt & pepper mixture, apply it evenly on the corn cobs

Eat while it is still warm & relive your childhood memories. Enjoi !!!

NOTE: You could even oven roast the corn cobs or roast them over a griddle.

46 comments:

Priya said...

Yummm!!feel like grabbing those corns..just love it!

SE(Denufood) said...

hey this brings the memories of the monsoons back home..when we would love to have these warm and roasted

Shama Nagarajan said...

lovely clicks dear...my favourite

Jaya said...

wish I can grab some of it now :)..

meeso said...

The first time I tried this I went nuts, It's too good, hard to stop eating!

Vidhya said...

yummy... love it and its perfect for this weather..

Soma Pradhan said...

yummy...I love this so much

Prathibha said...

I just love eating them especially on rainy days..

Smitha said...

yum!

LG said...

India winter weather ge super thindi idu..Roadside musukina jola gadi nenpaithu..ahaaa

sowmya.s said...

love this..u reminded me the ones we get in India usually near some tourist spot..hehe..

Sonia said...

Hi Deesha, thanks for stopping by at my blog. Yours is so neat with nice recipes. I have blogrolled you...so will come soon.
Corn on cob...I am missing it...:)

Valarmathi said...

Love this, looks yummy.

RAKS KITCHEN said...

I had these in Ooty when we visited last time,very flavorful when toasted in direct fire!

shayma said...

i love you photo of the challee. i would slather endless amounts of chili on it! lovely.

Yasmeen said...

I enjoy it similarly :D

Nags said...

i do the same when we crave it :)

Cham said...

The pict is gorgeous, feel like having the corn!

Magia da Inês said...

Oi, amiga!
Conheci seu cantinho...
Que receita deliciosa e nutritiva... além de linda e apetitosa.
Você é muito talentosa!
Parabéns!!!
Aguardo você em:
magiadaines.blogspot.com
Beijinhos carinhosos.
Itabira - Brasil

Red Chillies said...

love bhuttas any time. In fact, i love the sweet, soft ones we get here in the US. Tastes good as is or grilled on the stove.

Sheetal Kiran said...

One look at those photos ... and my mouth instantly filled with saliva and spicy and tangy memories of eating bhutta hot off the bhuttawalla's charcoal sigri!

Sharmilee! :) said...

Nothing can beat this combo!

s said...

YUM!! simple yet mouthwateringly delicious...

Nandini said...

Lovely corn for snack time! It's awesome and wonderful!

Usha said...

Really brings back memories....and yours have turned out perfect !

munchcrunchandsuch said...

I was nodding my head reading this..I dont have a coun of the bhuttas I hav had while I was in Pune..I used to even stock 2-3 in hand to eat at regular intervals..nice clicks deesha

Cynthia said...

I love corn this way.

Cynthia said...

About the annatto - check a store that sells Mexican/Latin food items.

BDSN said...

It's winter and just by looking at it I can say it is quite good!!!!

Sushma Mallya said...

wow so delicous and my favourite..really miss all that ..

hintofsaffron said...

The corn on the cob looks delicious. Yes, it does bring back memories of the bhuttawallah roasting the corn on the charcoal grill!

Kanchan said...

Awesome , never tried @ home, I always thought you need charcoal grill... now a sure TO DO :)

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow...my all time favourite....rim jim barish aur bhutta...deadly combo....love those drooling pics...

Never tried tindora and cashew combo also...looks yum....

Malar Gandhi said...

Wow, enjoyed it back home...best street food for me and my friends. This is bringing back good old memories. Corn on the cob looks too good:)

Laavanya said...

This instantly takes me to the beach... :)

Vanamala Hebbar said...

nice one to have like this....

Suma Gandlur said...

I do the similar way but skip that steaming process.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

love to have it anytime! looks great.

Padhu said...

I love roasted corns.Lovely pics.
Do drop by http://padhuskitchen.blogspot.com/

Suma Rajesh said...

i too make the same way...nice click...an award waiting for u on my blog..plz collect it..

A_and_N said...

I can't wait to go home :D to eat this! yayyyyyyyyyyy! ;D

Another thing to try is : butter (lots) Parmesan and garlic. YUM!

Aruna Manikandan said...

First time here...
u have a lovely space with wonderful recipies.

My hubby loves corn
never tried so far will give a try soon
I am following u dear

with luv,
ArunaManikandan

Kitchen Butterfly said...

In Nigeria we have this with fresh coconut....delicious

Shri said...

Who doesn't like it?Great Click!

Parita said...

What gorgeous picture!! Makes me crave for some buttery corn, miss going to beaches in mumbai and having garma garam corn, its awesome :-)

Food Fanatic said...

ahha this is my love. i absol gorge on corn roasted this way. i miss india!