November 5, 2009

Methi Pulao

How many of you are obsessed with collecting recipes?? Count me in. Apart from the numerous recipe books that I read, blog hopping & all the cookery shows that I watch on TV, I have this habit of collecting recipes from friends. Talk about food & I am game.

Now, this recipe is from a dear friend Rajini. She is an excellent cook & each time I visit her, she always has something new to offer. And, I love discussing recipes with her. The recipe for this pulao came about during one such discussion.

Methi Pulao 1


You Will Need:
  • 1 cup Basmati/Long grained rice
  • 2 packed cups - chopped fenugreek/methi leaves
  • 2 onions - chopped into long strips
  • 1/2 cup green peas - fresh/frozen
  • 2 green chillies - slit lengthwise
  • 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
  • 1 tsp red chilli powder
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 2 tbsp roasted cashewnuts
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp saunf/fennel seeds
  • Salt as per taste
  • 1 1/2 tbsp desi ghee/oil

Method:

  • Clean rice in several changes of water, drain & set aside for 10 mins. Heat a tsp of ghee in a pan, gently roast the rice for a couple of minutes. Pressure cook the rice with 1 1/2 cups of water, such that each grain is separate. Once cooked, set aside to let it cool completely.
  • Before chopping, soak methi leaves in water. add a tsp of salt & a pinch of sugar. Squeeze the water out after about 5 mins & proceed to chop. This gets rid of the bitter taste.
  • Heat oil/desi ghee in a heavy bottomed pan, splutter cumin & fennel seeds, add slit green chillies, ginger garlic paste & fry for 20 secs.
  • Add chopped onions & fry until it turns pink. Add chopped methi leaves, red chilli powder & saute until cooked.
  • Add rice, slat as per taste & garam masala. Mix gently on medium flame. Take care to set that the grains do not break.
  • Add lemon juice & garnish with roasted cashewnuts

Serve HOT with onion raita .. Enjoi !!!

This pulao was indeed very different. I loved the fresh flavor of methi leaves. It has subtle flavors & makes a nice homely one pot meal. Thanks Rajini for the recipe. We really did enjoy this.

35 comments:

Nithya said...

Wow.. this looks way tempting. :) yummmm

Madhu said...

Back home my mom always makes this. Since i don't get methi leaves here.. I miss them so much.
Pics are very tempting ...

Parita said...

Gorgeous click deesha! looks delicious!

Cham said...

I never did rice with methi, simply gorgeous!

Priya said...

Wow delectable pulao!!

Preety said...

same here deesha, love to collect recipes and cookbooks..

Pulao looks amazing..

Indhu said...

am drooling at work :(
stunning picture... love this recipe :)

meeso said...

It sounds excellent!

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

looks lovely! love methi rice with aloo dum...

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Sounds so flavorful with methi,fennel and all!

Nandini said...

Healthy pulao! Gorgeous picture!

Ramya Bala said...

Looks very delicious Deepthi ;)))hope to see much more recipes from ur frnd ;)

Sharmilee! :) said...

Pulav has come out perfect, rice seperated and the color looks pretty!One suggestion: ur pics are always admirable, but you could post slightly a larger version of the image to make it more presentable and appealing, just a thought I had!

Sharmila said...

I like methi pulao with fresh methi. Your version looks really good! :-)

Suparna said...

Oh!I thought I was freeking crazy when it comes to collecting recipes ...am not alone ye ye!!
Hmm...I've enjoyed methi pulao too!but it's a rarity at home coz I land up making parathas or aloo methi :)Thanks for the recipe dear..the pulao has turned out perfect...I like it this way with grains of rice fluffy!! Love ur space...it's so neat :)

Prathibha said...

I love the flavor of methi in pulao...I just love it..

sowmya.s said...

long long time , i made this..looks delicious and tempting ..

lata raja said...

Join the league! I do it too.
The rice looks extremely inviting! say a big thank you to your friend from me too.

Gulmohar said...

Yummy pulao..methi would blend in perfectly well..Never tried this at home.
BTW, first time in your lovely space :-)

Sireesha said...

Looks very delicious and healthy:)

jayasri said...

METHI & PULAOV love them both..., looks so delicious...

Nivi said...

I love one pot meals....as a graduate student, I thrive on these!

When should the green peas be added?

Padhu said...

Pulav my favourite rice dish! Your pulav looks delicious .New comer here .Do visit http://padhuskitchen.blogspot.com/

notyet100 said...

pulao loooks so yum,..

SE(Denufood) said...

hi deesha..first time here..came through EC's blog..good to know..

PJ said...

Hi Deesha,came here thro EC's Blog..Nice blog and lovely food!!! Collecting recipes has become a sort of obsession for me and now I know I am not alone :)... Methi pulao looks yummm..

Valarmathi said...

Yummy methi pulao, looks delicious.

Arch said...

Nice one, the one i make is slightly different, but i love this - easy, healthy and tasty...

Shri said...

Absolutely tempting!I love the click too:)

Sheetal Kiran said...

It's an absolute obsession with me as well! Im a total sucker for traditional, authentic recipes! This sounds like such a nice way to experiment with methi .. lovely!

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

delicious looking rice. i also love to collect recipes..

Nags said...

i get fresh methi very rarely here in SG so last time i did, i had to make a tough call since i like a lot of dishes. finally settled for the paratas :)

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow...methi and basmati...awesome combo dear...fennel might have given the right aromatic flavour needed to the recipe....rice looks yum...

sangeeta said...

i love this pulav in any version you make....i posted a slightly different recipe recntly too.
your pictyres look perfect !!
thanks for dropping by , i'll keep in touch !!

Anonymous said...

I just made this dish, came out really good, I see in the recipe you didn't add green peas, but mentioned in ingredients.

Thanks
Veena