How many of you are obsessed with collecting recipes?? Count me in. Apart from the numerous recipe books that I read, blog hopping & all the cookery shows that I watch on TV, I have this habit of collecting recipes from friends. Talk about food & I am game.
Now, this recipe is from a dear friend Rajini. She is an excellent cook & each time I visit her, she always has something new to offer. And, I love discussing recipes with her. The recipe for this pulao came about during one such discussion.
You Will Need:
- 1 cup Basmati/Long grained rice
- 2 packed cups - chopped fenugreek/methi leaves
- 2 onions - chopped into long strips
- 1/2 cup green peas - fresh/frozen
- 2 green chillies - slit lengthwise
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp roasted cashewnuts
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp saunf/fennel seeds
- Salt as per taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp desi ghee/oil
- Clean rice in several changes of water, drain & set aside for 10 mins. Heat a tsp of ghee in a pan, gently roast the rice for a couple of minutes. Pressure cook the rice with 1 1/2 cups of water, such that each grain is separate. Once cooked, set aside to let it cool completely.
- Before chopping, soak methi leaves in water. add a tsp of salt & a pinch of sugar. Squeeze the water out after about 5 mins & proceed to chop. This gets rid of the bitter taste.
- Heat oil/desi ghee in a heavy bottomed pan, splutter cumin & fennel seeds, add slit green chillies, ginger garlic paste & fry for 20 secs.
- Add chopped onions & fry until it turns pink. Add chopped methi leaves, red chilli powder & saute until cooked.
- Add rice, slat as per taste & garam masala. Mix gently on medium flame. Take care to set that the grains do not break.
- Add lemon juice & garnish with roasted cashewnuts
Serve HOT with onion raita .. Enjoi !!!
This pulao was indeed very different. I loved the fresh flavor of methi leaves. It has subtle flavors & makes a nice homely one pot meal. Thanks Rajini for the recipe. We really did enjoy this.