Can you imagine your pantry without the quitessential Garam Masala?? This magical spice certainly does impart that subtle flavor to any dish, making it the King of all spice blends.
While it is very convenient to buy Garam Masala from stores, there is nothing to beat the freshness of some good Homemade Garam Masala
Every home would probably have its own version of Garam Masala. But the ingredients used are more or less the same.
Here's how to make some good Garam Masala
You Will Need:
- 1/4 cup Coriander seeds/Dhaniya
- 1/4 cup Cumin seeds/Jeera
- 1 tbsp cloves/Laung
- 1 tbsp black peppercorn
- 1 1/2 tsp Black cumin seeds/Kala Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Black/Green cardamom seeds
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks/Dalchini
- 1/2 tsp ground mace
- 4 bay leaves - crushed
- In a large frying pan, heat all the spices over medium heat until they slightly change their color & release aroma. Turn off the stove & transfer the spices into another dish & allow them to cool completely.
- Grind into a fine powder in a coffee grinder.
- Store in air-tight container
Use in small amounts, at the end of cooking to add that special flavor. Do Not add huge amounts as it will over power all other flavors.