I love Potatoes ( What's there not to like in potatoes, anyways .. ) The other day, I was meaning to make Aloo Methi with fresh fenugreek leaves. Since, I didn't have fresh methi on hand, I used Dried Methi Leaves ( Kasuri Methi ) & I was pleased with the results.
This is one of those quick dishes that is just easy for anyone to cook & this gets done in no time. Perfect for a weeknight dinner & is great for lunch box too
You will hardly require any ingredient for this one, The name says it all .. Kasuri Methi & Aloo, they really do make a great combination. Infact, kasuri Methi pairs well with Gobi too
There aren't too many flavours in this dish. The main flavour comes from Kasuri Methi. Red Chilli powder & green chillies are added for that little bit of heat. If you cannot handle too much heat, you could leave out either of them.
You Will Need:
- 3 large potatoes - nicely scrubbed
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tsp Kasuri Methi
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 2 green chillies - slit lengthwise
- Cooking Oil
- Salt as per taste
- Par boil the potatoes in water. Allow them to cool. Dice them & set aside
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter cumin seeds & add green chillies & allow them to sizzle for a couple of seconds.
- Add diced potatoes, turmeric powder, red chilli powder & salt. Cook on medium heat with a closed lid & keep stirring often to avoid the bottom from getting burnt. If the potatoes start sticking to the pan, sprinkle some water But don't add too much water else, the potatoes will get mushy.
- When the pototoes are completely cooked yet firm, add crushed kasuri methi & give it a stir & cook for a couple of mins before transferring them to a serving bowl.
Serve with Warm rotis & Yogurt .. Enjoi !!!
- Do Not add huge amounts of Kasuri Methi to the curry as it has a slightly bitter taste.
- You can replace Kasuri Methi with fresh Methi leaves, But the flavor of Kasuri Methi is sligthly different & I love it
- Instead of parboiling the potatoes, I sometime dice them & cook them in oil. This definitely is much more oily, but tastes like Heaven !!! This is perfect of you want to make this fir picnics esp during summer as you need not worry about them getting spoilt.