Like everyone does, we too made Modaks for Ganesha. We made Chaklis & other goodies too, Those recipes are for another day,
For the Outer Layer:
For the Filling:
- 1 cup fine semolina
- 2 tsp ghee
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup dry cococnut
- 1/2 cup sugar - powdered
- 1 tsp cardamon powder
To Make the Filling:
- Mix dry coconut, powdered sugar & cardamom powder together & set aside.
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients mentioned for the outer layer. Add water little at a time & mix well to form a dough. The consistency should be like a chapati dough. Cover & set aside for about 3 hours.
- Later, knead well so that the dough becomes soft.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal sized balls
- Take one ball at a time & roll into a thin puri. Hold the puri in your palm, pinch the edges at regular intervals, uniformly. Place a 2 tsp of filling in the centre & close the modak on top by pulling the edges. Make the other modaks in the same way,
- Cover with a damp cloth so that the modaks do not get dry.
- Heat oil in a deep Kadhai & deep fry the modaks on meduim heat until it turns golden brown.
- Cool them & store them in air tight containers.
Offer them to Lord Ganesha & enjoi as many as you want ...