November 12, 2010

Kobhi Zunka/Cabbage Zunka

Hope you guys had a cracker of a Diwali ... We had a great one too. I tried quite a few dishes this Diwali & I was meaning to share it with you guys. But, I was quite tired at the end & I certainly didn't have the patience to photograph the dishes .. Anyways, there is always a next time.

I was wanting to do a post for quite sometime now. But, I was so lost in all the festivities that I took quite a while to get back to the routine.

Have I told you guys that I love Maharastrian food. That cuisine is very honest & I somehow associate it with our very own Karnataka cuisine. Maybe because, it is very similar to North Karnataka dishes.

I love their Kande Pohe, which is similar to our Avalakki Oggarane. And, I love their Pithle & Zunka. So very basic & so comforting.

Kobhi Zunka

There are numerous variations to the basic Zunka. I added cabbage to mine. You can make this with just onions, methi leaves & even scallions.  I ate mine with phulkas, because, I cannot make Bhakri :)

You Will Need:
  • 1 cup Cabbage - shredded
  • 1 onion - finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup Besan/Gram Flour
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
  • A pinch of Asafoetida
  • Salt as per taste
How To:
  • In a pan, dry roast Gram flour until it slightly changes color & aromatic. Set aside.
  • Cook cabbage in the microwave or on stove top until crisp & fully cooked. Drain excess water & set aside.
  • In the same pan, heat oil, splutter mustard & cumin seeds, add asafoetida & turmeric.
  • Add chopped onions & saute until it turns pink. Add cooked cabbage, red chilli powder, Gram flour & mix well.
  • The gram flour absorbs all the moisture & will tend to form lumps. Break the lumps & cook them.
  •  Cook on low flame until the besan gets cooked completely.
  • Check for salt &
Garnish with some raw shredded cabbage & chopped cilantro Serve with Bahkri .. Enjoi !!!!

22 comments:

Kairali sisters said...

I never had or heard about this, looks yummy Deesha...

Sush said...

Junka/Zunka is our family fav too.

Priya said...

Droolworthy zunka..very tempting..

Sharmilee! :) said...

First time hearing this...looks very tempting..lovely bowl

Hari Chandana said...

Woww.. looks so tempting.. lovely color :)

aipi said...

Very new..looks absolutely delicious!

Sayantani said...

never had Zunka but it looks delicious. a great way to enjoy cabbage.

Paaka Shaale said...

The jhunka reminds me of kamat hotel. Loved the recipe :)

rekhas kitchen said...

Hi Deesha How are you? nice recipe love to have it with rasam and rice yumm

Madhavi said...

Never tried cabbage with besan. Looks good and lovely color too!!

swapna said...

tempting and lovely...

Sandhya Hariharan said...

Delicious... and must have been a great combi with phulka's ..

Bergamot said...

Lovely jhunka...It's been a long long time since I had this. This is indeed a great combination. I like it with spinach too.

jayasree said...

I make this with capsicum or methi..sounds interesting with cabbage. Lovely pic.

Supriya Nair said...

Cabbage zunka is new for me...definitely trying this out. Thanks for sharing this one :)

Divya Vikram said...

Different way to cook cabbage. Looks delicious!

Mangala Bhat said...

sounds intresting!thanks for the new recipe

KamalKitchen said...

my mom always makes this..and I love it..We make a lot of vegetables this style.

thanks..
pb

http://kamalkitchen.blogspot.com

radha said...

Made this. Much appreciated. Thanks.

dassana said...

hi deesha

came to your site from radha's site when reading cabbage zunka recipe

what i distintly saw was the bowl in which you have served the zunka, coz i have the same bowl at home. same design and shape.

when googling, i came across one more blog and was surprised to see the same bowl again.... they have used your pic for their post. here is the link : http://howtocookingindianfood.blogspot.in/2011/08/kobhi-zunka-recipe.html

i don't know how you deal with plagiarism. but thought its better to inform you.

by the way not only the bowl but the cabbage zunka also looks good.

dassana said...

was just checking their site and they have used my images as well. don't know who else's images are there....

SeaFooD Recipes said...

sounds intresting!thanks for the new recipe.