Tommorow is Sankranti .. I am super excited because, I get to wear new clothes & go house hopping to distribute Ellu Bella, Sugarcane, Sugar Candy ( Sakkare Achhu ) & fruits ...
Even though the Ellu Bella mixture is readily available in most stores, the homemade ones always hold a special place. It is fairly simple to make, but chopping jaggery & coconut does take quite a bit of your time.
You Will Need:
- 1 cup Jaggery - chopped into really small cubes
- 1 cup dry coconut/copra/Kobbari - chopped into small cubes
- 1 cup Hurigadale/Dalia
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1/2 cup white Sesame seeds
- In a heavy bottomed pan, roast the peanuts. Once cool, remove the skin & halve them
- In the same pan, roast sesame seeds on low flame until they slightly change color & set aside. Be careful when roasting sesame seeds as they tend to get burnt very quickly & turn bitter.
- Grate the brown part of the dry coconut & chop uniformly into small cubes. Make sure the jaggery & dry coconut pieces are all more or less of the same size.
- Mix all the ingredients together & store in air-tight jars.
Hope you guys have a great Sankrati too .. Enjoi !!!