For the Okra lover that I am, it is quite surprising that the last time I posted a Okra recipe was about an year ago !!! My MIL isn't very fond of Okra so that way Okra makes an appearance at home about once a fortnight. Most of the times, It goes into my husband's lunch box as a quick Bhindi Fry or it is promptly made into Bendekayi Gojju which we all love to dig into with some hot steamed rice.
Today was one of those rare ocassions, when I wanted to make something else with Okra & Dahi Bhindi was what I made.
You Will Need:
- Okra/Bhindi - 250g
- 2 large onions - sliced lengthwise
- 1 small tomato - roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 tbsp besan/chickpea flour
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp nigella seeds/kalonji
- 2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- Salt as per taste
- Cooking oil
- Chopped coriander
- In a deep heavy bottomed vessel, heat generous amount of cooking oil. Add Okra & saute till it gets cooked completely. Set aside.
- In the same pan, heat some more oil, splutter cumin & nigella seeds. Add chopped garlic & saute for a few secs. Add chopped onions & turmeric. Allow it to sweat. Add chopped tomatoes, red chilli powder & fry until oil separates.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl whisk yogurt & besan together such that no lumps are formed. When the tomatoes are finished cooking, add the yogurt mixture, Give it a stir. Add salt & allow it to simmer for about 5 mins until the raw smell of besan disappears & the sauce gets a little thick.ra
- Add sauteed okra & mix well
- Add Garam Masala & check for salt. Aloow it to simmer again for about 3 mins.
- Turn off the stove & finish with some fresh chopped coriander
Serve HOT with Phulkas or with Dal & steamed Rice .. Enjoi !!!
NOTE: Do Not add too much yogurt to make this into a gravy. However, it you happen to add more yogurt than needed, add some more chickpea flour to thicken the sauce.