January 24, 2012

Sundried Orange Peel & Cinnamon Infused Chai

It's raining Oranges everywhere & we are enjoying every bit of it. Have I told you before that Orange is my
favorite fruit & I can eat upto almost a dozen oranges in a day ?? Really, I am not kidding .. 

Loads of Oranges means, loads of Orange Peel as well. I normally Sun dry orange peel & store it in an airtight jar & use it for my cooking. It can be used in soups, stews, infusions & in our Good old Masala Chai as well ..

Orange Peel


How To Sun Dry Orange Peel:

  • Tear orange peel into tiny pieces. Arrange them on a tray & dry them in the sun, covered with a mesh for about 2-3 days. Store them in air-tight jars. You can even store them in the powdered form
  • You can also dry them in the oven .. But when you have some good sun, why would you need an oven, right?? Go Make full use of the sun

Now that I have plenty of sun dried Orange peel, thanks to my Orange eating spree, I have been making Orange peel infused Masala Chai lately. And, it is making my mornings, just lovely.

Sun Dried Orange Peel & Cinnamon Infused Chai


Looks lovely, Isn't it?? The idea is let the flavor of Orange peel rule .. So, I just added a hint of cinnamon, because the citrusy flavor of orange peel & cinnamon go very well together.

Here's How to Make a citrusy Masala Chai



In case you are wondering whether, boiling orange peel along with water & milk, makes the tea bitter & causes milk to split, Do Not worry, It does not .. Go Ahead, Make yourself a cuppa & let me know, if you enjoyed the goodness of fresh citrusy flavours in your chai .. Enjoi !!!

29 comments:

Sukanya Ramkumar said...

Lovely looking cup of tea. So refreshing. Nice recipe. Will try it for sure. YUM!

Srikanth said...

Yummy!

But, half a cup tea powder? Did you mean half a spoon?

BTW, would it taste as good if you used fresh peel?

DEESHA said...

Srikanth: thanks for pointing out. I meant 1 tsp tea powder :)

Reva said...

A lovely aromatic twist to chai... wonderful way to begin the day..:))
Reva

DEESHA said...

Srikanth: I've never tried using fresh orange peel. I have a feeling that it may turn bitter, but I really do not know. If you happen to try, tell me as well

Priya said...

Wow wish to have this fabulous tea..

Vijitha said...

I am loving this cup of chai. Zesty orange and earthly cinnamon - umm!!! delicious.

Cham said...

I collect all the peel dry it and ground it for face pack -orange powder +rose water :) I fell later citrusy, my hand, face,
Never thought to give a try in tea!

Priti said...

Gud one deeps and love the pic and I have sun dried peels too ..should use it now...

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Delicious and refreshing chai. Would surely try it soon.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

refreshing chai... I would love it...

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Refreshing chai...nice recipe.

Raji said...

This is something which is very new and lovely..I usually use my orange peels to make face mask but this is a brilliant idea to use it in tea.

Kalpana Sareesh said...

AWonderful cup of chai.. with loads of flavors.. tempting clicks..

Priya Rao said...

nice recipe

Premalatha Aravindhan said...

wow i can feel the flavour,awesome tea...wonderful clicks.

Ramya Manja said...

wow sipping an orange tea on a chilly day gives an awesome start..Must try this orange chai....

Njoy Cooking n Happy Blogging...

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

this is new, & i love the idea of orange flavoured anything! lovely pics :)

Jyoti said...

Never really heard to such an innovative tea.. Guess I will hv to make the peel in oven.. Not too much sun out here!

Aarthi said...

love it

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Happy Cook / Finla said...

Loved the first two pictures.

chinmayie @ love food eat said...

I have been also eating tons of oranges! Love this tea idea :)

LifenSpice said...

This is such a lovely idea! I'm going to try this with some oven-roasted orange peel soon:)

roses said...

Lovely.............. coffee
rosesandgifts.com

Radhika | Just Home Made said...

oh! love your brass props! Dee..
Do you make orange peel gojju as well?

RAKS KITCHEN said...

sounds very nice, lovely recipe card :)

Swathi said...

Hoped over from Just Home Made! Lovely recipes you have and traditional props as well!

ahmedabadonnet said...

Lovely...
ahmedabadonnet.com

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing.