Breakfast has always been an elaborate affair at home. Like most South Indian homes, I grew up eating Idli, Dosa, Upma, Pongal, Akki Rotti etc & I love it that way .. Infact, I don't even remember eating Cereals for breakfast for the 1st 20 years of my life .. Really :) Later on in life when losing weight & dieting came into picture, we got into eating cereals & fruits for breakfast, only to go back to the good old Indian breakfast, in a matter of few weeks :)
Poha is one of India's most staple Breakfast dishes & you will find variations as you move from one state to another. On days when I am very hungry, I like a big bowl of Hot steaming Poha for Breakfast, loaded with lots of veggies, a generous amount of Sev added on top .. Yumm
You Will Need:
- 2 cups Thick Poha
- 1 big onion - finely chopped
- 1 carrot - peeled & diced into cubes
- 1 medium sized potato - peeled & diced into cubes
- A handful of green peas - fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp fresh grated coconut
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 4 green chillies - finely chopped
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 tbsp cooking oil
- Salt as per taste
- Fresh coriander for garnish
- Sev for garnish
- In a colander, wash Poha in several changes of water. Drain water & Set aside.
- In a pan, heat cooking oil, splutter mustard & cumin seeds. Add green chillies, Urad & chana dal. Saute for about 20 secs until the urad & chana dal slightly change color. Add onion & little bit of salt & turmeric & saute until the onions turn pink.
- Add Potatoes & carrots & cook covered with a lid. Saute at regular intervals to avoid the vegetables from getting burnt. When they are half cookes, Add green peas & cook for another 3-4 mins.
- When the vegetables are done, Add poha, salt, grated coconut, lime juice & gently mix well on low flame.
- Garnish with fresh corinder & top with Sev if you don't mind a few extra calories
Serve with some good old Filter Coffee .. Aah Bliss !!