Quinoa Khichdi | Sabudana Khichdi Style

Thursday, October 17, 2013

I bought Quinoa a couple of times when I was in this so called Phase called healthy eating & then forgot all about it. And, now almost 2 years later, I am again in that Healthy Eating phase ( I don't know, how long its going to last though )  .. I again bought a box of quinoa from the supermarket ..

Quinoa


Quinoa is so easily adaptable to Indian recipes just like oats :)  I normally make Upma or a Khichdi or I just cook quinoa & eat with lightly seasoned steamed vegetables.

I made Sabudana Khichdi style quinoa the other day & I just loved it. It's far more easier to make since, it does not require pre soaking like Sabudana & it requires far more less oil 

Quinoa Khichdi 


  You Will Need:
  • 2 cups Quinoa
  • 1 large potato - pressure cooked , peeled & roughly mashed
  • A handful of roasted peanuts - coarsely crushed
  • A pinch of turmeric
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 4-5 green chillies
  • 2 tbsp fresh grated coconut
  • Fresh coriander for garnish
  • Salt as per taste
  • 1 tbsp cooking oil

How to:

Dry roast quinoa for a couple of minutes. Set aside. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add quinoa & let it cook for about 10 mins on medium flame. Add additional water if required. When completely cooked, fluff with a fork & set aside.

In a heavy bottomed pan, heat cooking oil, splutter cumin seeds. Add chopped green chillies & sauté for a few seconds

Add mashed potatoes & mix well. Add salt, turmeric & crushed peanuts & give it a mix again.

Add cooked quinoa & grated coconut. Mix again & check for salt. Let it stand for a couple of mins & turn off the stove. Garnish with fresh coriander & serve war

Though, Sabudana Khichdi is typically eaten at breakfast, I usually make this for dinner or a light lunch as well. It also is a great lunch box option



You Might Also Like

4 comments