September 26, 2008

Rice Noodles / Shavige Baath

This is yet another classic South Indian breakfast dish. Rice Noodles or Shavige Baath is a favourite in every South Indian home. The traditional dish typically calls for home-made rice noodles which according to me stands out in taste as compared to the store-bought ones.

I remember my mom & grand-mom making rice noodles from scratch. It is a very time consuming & laborious. So, it was reserved for special occassions like a birthday, a festival or a holiday when all of us at home could'nt wait to savour them.



There are various versions of Shavige Baath, like This which my mom-in-law makes & there is a sweet version to it too with jaggery. But I prefer the savoury version.

This one is my absolute favourite. It calls for very basic ingredients & makes a very satisfying breakfast. I recommend that you give this version try. It is quite different from the usual onion or mixed vegetable version of rice noodles.

The recipe for home-made rice noodles will follow later. I have made this using the store-bought ones. Hope you guys like it . . .

Preparation Time: 20 mins

You Will Need
:
  • 2 cups rice noodles - I used store-bought
  • 1/2 cup grated coconut - fresh/frozen
  • 4-5 green chillies
  • 1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
  • A huge sprig of cilantro
  • A handful of curry leaves
  • A big pinch of turmeric
  • A handful of groundnuts
  • 2 -3 tbsp - lemon juice
  • Salt as per taste
  • 2 tsp oil

Method:

  • Boil about 4 cups of water in a large vessel. once it start boiling, add a tsp of oil turnoff the stove
  • Add rice noodles & cover it. Let it cook for a minute & NOT any more than that
  • Transfer cooked noodles to a colander & run cold water it. Keep aside & let it cool
  • Grind together grated coconut, green chillies, cilantro, curry leaves mustard seeds into a smooth paste without adding too much water
  • Heat a heavy bottomed pan & add oil. Add mustard seeds, groundnuts & turmeric & let it roast well & turn off the stove
  • Add the ground paste, cooked noodles along with salt to the tempering
  • Add lemon juice & mix well. You can add another teaspoon of oil at this point if required
  • Garnish with chopped cilantro.

Serve with Coriander Chutney . . . Enjoi !


52 comments:

Divya said...

Very nice traditional dish. I make this at least once a week, and love it.

DEESHA said...

Thanks Divya .. That was a quick comment .. I too love it

Usha said...

I love the use of peanuts in your lemon sevai...it looks yummy :)

Cham said...

Love the Lemon sevai,great breakfast made in a hurry :)

DEESHA said...

usha - I too love using peanuts in such authentic dishes .. gives it a nice crunchy taste

Cham - Yes always comes in handy when you are in a hurry or have run out of vegetables

mitr_bayarea said...

This is such an easy dish to make especially when you have lots of people coming over. Guess what I will be doing for my golu weekend.

Curry Leaf said...

Easy dish,but as u said the traditional one is laborious,I prefer sweet & savoury versions as well.

Suma Rajesh said...

lov peanuts in noodles..its a unique way of maming it with coconuts..sounds interesting...

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

now you are making me hungry.. sevai looks awesome.. i love the picture.

sowmya said...

simple and delicious rice noodles!!

Uma said...

ooh, the noodles look so mouth-watering. Would like to grab that bowl.

Cynthia said...

Hi Deesha, thanks for taking the time to visit my blog and helping me to discover yours.

Will make sometime soon to explore :)

Dershana said...

hi Deesha, I love the savoury sevai much more too. it's such a light on the stomach, yummy treat.

srikars kitchen said...

Hi .. Rice noodles looks delicious....yummy & mouth watering...

Jaishree said...

sevai looks awesome.. yummy & mouth watering...i love the pic..

Vani said...

I love shavige bhath. Lovely picture too

rekhas kitchen said...

awesome dear my all time fav.

DEESHA said...

Mitr - yes its damn easy to make it when you expect a lot of people

curry leaf everyone at home enjoys the sweet version except me

suma I too love the peanuts

Mahima, sowmya, Uma -Thanks a ton

Cynthia - Thanks .. Glad i found your blog too .. keep visiting

Dershana Yes its very light on the stomach N a hearty dish too

Srikar, Jayashree, Vani, Rekha - Thanks. Iam glad you guys liked it

meeso said...

This looks good, I need to pick up some rice noodles :)

Hetal said...

hmm..this is a quick easy and tasty recipe...thanks.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

I am waiting for the tool to make rice noodles, one of my favs...

LG said...

ahaa....I am drooling early in the morning here....

Arundhuti said...

deesha....so good to find ur blog...mouth watering noodles recipe..n thanks for visiting my blog...am adding u to my blog list...:-)

notyet100 said...

looks so yum,..love ur new template...too,..:-)hppy weekend...

Anisheetu said...

wow nice click...

Shreya said...

hi Deesha, looks great! i add grated carrots too at times. I have a surprise for you at my blog:-)

DEESHA said...

Meeso, Hetal, Ramya Thanks
Lg - Thanks so much
Arunduthi - Iam gkad I found your blog too, Thanks for adding e to your blog roll
Notyet100, Anisheetu - Thanks
Shreya - Carrots must be giving a nice twist to the dish

Aparna said...

Reminds me that I need to make this sometime soon.:)
We call this sevai. And we have plain tempered, coconut, lemon and tamarind versions.

Valarmathi said...

Rice noodle looks delicious and nice picture.

RAKS KITCHEN said...

looks very nice and this is my favourite!!!

Solai Chidambaram said...

Little different from what we make.The cocunut grind added is something new and interesting.will surely try when i make rice noodles next time deesha.All your recipes are interesting.Keep up the good work dear

G.Pavani said...

looks very delicious and it is easy to prepare.i will try this one for weekend

Purva Desai said...

We used to get this as a morning breakfast in our office back in Mumbai. And before that I had never tasted this Baath, I used to call it as Noodles Upma. Thanks for sharing this, Will make this for my weekend brunch..

Bhawna said...

Hi Deesha.. Nice post, I have these rice noodles i bought from hongkong market.I will make it for the first time so do u think they are fine for the recipe.
Thanks i was really puzzled what to do with it...
Thanks

Divya Vikram said...

Qick n easy breakfast!

Laavanya said...

I love this.. I too don't make rice noodles from scratch but really enjoy it.

Sheetal Kiran said...

Sounds so wonderfully traditional Deesha! ahh, those special once-in-awhile dishes mother's and grandmother's prepare! In our house we really look forward to "rasatlya shevaiya" made from rice noodles, jaggery, milk... yummm

Will try your lovely savory version for now :D

raaji said...

that looks sooooo mouthwatering......

Ricardo Candeias said...

http://ricocoffeeshop.blogspot.com

Great foods deserve great comments and you dishes are amazing. keep cooking. And maybe you fancy having a look @ some of my recipes.

Rico

n33ma said...

Its been so long since I made this...Shavige baat is one of my fav Indian breakfast.Good recipe.

Paru ... said...

I love Shavige bath..My most favourite breakfast item I must say..Looks very authentic Deesha..

Shillu said...

Looks lovely!!

Pravs said...

looks so yum !

Bharti said...

I didn't know rice noodles were an authentic south indian dish! I always associate noodles with Asian cooking. It looks lovely.

Daily Meals said...

Lovely picture...

Nidhi said...

Deeya..Lovely recipe. THe final dish looks yummmy. I will definitely try this one soon.

Priti said...

Looking delicious...the pic is beautiful...I'm feeling very tempted to try this

Dee said...

I learn something new every time I visit a new blog. I've never had rice noodles this way but they sound so very good!

Thank you for your kind words on my blog :)

Sunshinemom said...

I love this too! Of course the home made rice noodles taste really good - am yet to get the sevai-press!! I don't make these too often as I have got so used to the roti subzi routine!!

Malar Gandhi said...

Sevai luks yummy!

chanchal said...

i am glad i found your blog...nice recipes:-)thnk u:-)

meeti said...

Love the recipe!! I made little changes- I used Chinese rice noodles and added chopped onions. It was very good and helped me overcome my pregnancy cravings!! thanks Deesha!